Home

Friday, May 14, 2010

The 'Twilight' Fandom: It's All Relative

It's a good thing that twitter posts are now being archived in the Library of Congress, because a decade from now, heck a few years from now, Twilight will likely be nothing more than a fad. And even if twitter continues to thrive, Twilight will most certainly not be on the list of its trending topics forever.

Why am I bringing this up? Because as you know words do carry power on twitter. After Oprah aired Thursday, it bothered me to see people criticizing the Twi-Moms that obviously put a lot of time into this current "phenomenon", as Oprah called it:



Let me make it clear, I am not a Twi-Mom. And while I wouldn't call my strawberries Edward and Jacob, or walk a fake red carpet (never say never).. what is the difference between that, and camping for days to see the stars walk the carpet themselves at the premiere?


Is it any different than fans that tattoo Edward's words to Bella on their back?



Or how about the hundreds of hours bloggers log (ehem).. posting Twilight related stories with no expectations, other than to spread the love for the series?

It's all about respect. And a bit of perspective.

Only a few more years left in this crazy Twilight world, so I say if you want to call your strawberries Jacob and Edward go fo it! and enjoy the ride while it lasts!

Or.. you could always join another fandom and their vices. yeap. It's a water suit.

7 comments:

  1. It will fade but the books are loved so much that it will always be around. I adore the books and when the movies are done I still have them and will keep them for my kids and grand kids. I really don't care about all this hype and all this celebrity crap what I care about are those books. And they'll always be part of my family when this is all done with.
    Call it a fad or WHATEVER but their not a fad to me or millions of fans those books are part of my history now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 41 years old and I've been a huge Star wars fan since 1977 - got all the figures, books, comics, posters, etc. I love Star Wars and I've made a lot of good friends through my love of that particular saga. Many people thought SW would be a passing fad, and here we are more than 30 years later.

    I also love Twilight - as much as I love SW, to be honest. I love Doctor Who and Harry Potter, too. My point being that I completely get the Twi-Moms. Sure, I chuckled at the strawberry thing... and the red carpet thing... But, they're having fun with something that has brought them together in the bonds of friendship. The people who ridicule them or roll their eyes at them just don't understand how powerful fandom can be. Nor do they understand what a good thing it can be. Frankly, I feel bad for those people.

    Rock on Twi-Moms!! Enjoy yourselves and your life sized standees of Edward Cullen - Lord knows I do! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concure 100%. But people have nothing better to do that critize those who aren't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! I totally agree. In fact whenever my husband gets cranky pants about me going to a twi-event I just tell him, "don't worry, it won't last forever." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is all about Stephanie Meyer's characters in the books. These books helped me through almost loosing my husband in an automobile accident and will always be important to me. These characters provided an escape through a very traumatic time of my life and these books are wonderfully written. If my age of 35 and mother of two children make me a TwiMom then that is just fine with me. I love anything twilight and my husband and i relish what these novels and movies have done for me and my family...Also, it helps out that RPattz is just dreamy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU!!!

    This is the first blog I've posted a comment to! I am one of the Twi-Moms featured on Oprah and am SHOCKED at all of the haters out there!

    THANKS for the kind words:)

    Twi-Mom Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reading and appreciate your comment. Don't let them get you down. There are fans for everything and people are just bullies sometimes. Like I said in the article. It's all about respect and having a little fun. Best, Yvette.

    ReplyDelete