Home

Monday, August 19, 2013

Another New Dior Still: Rob Talks To Glamour Spain


Full translation below. Click for HQ. 

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com 
scans via/via

Translation by @oldmoriiarty

THE MAGNETIC SEX APPEAL OF ROBERT PATTINSON

He has one of the most magnetic looks of current cinema. Free from his vampiric past, the actor writes the first chapters of his new life, next to Dior Homme, turning into an icon of freedom.
Robert Pattinson says he's not the perfect man, but he's very close. His millions of fans believe so, and after seeing him in the new Dior Homme ad, so do we. Discreet and misterious, Pattinson (London, 1986) is still the same he's always been in spite of the fame he got with The Twilight Saga. Since then, his CV grows in an unstoppable way with titles like Water for Elephants, Bel Ami and David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis. We'll soon see him inThe Rover, and he starts filming: Maps to the Stars, again with Cronenberg and Hold on to Me, with actress Carey Mulligan. Used to living with the rumors of his break up with Kristen Stewart, he feels grown up for the first time. In Los Angeles and in a Glamour Exclusive, he confesses that he's a one-woman man. As said before: almost perfect.

What made you accept to being the new face of the Maison Dior?
It was a combination of circumstances. When it was proposed to me, I was filming very small movies and I thought representing a brand like Dior would allow me to get to the public more. It's good to have a big company as an ally. Being the face of a brand is something I've doubted a lot. I've turned down offers in the past, but when the french campaign proposed it to me, the decision was easy. I like what the brand represents. I like it because it's inaccessible and I relate to its philosophy.

Do you miss the media attention the Twilight Saga caused?
No, although I do have new found feelings. On one side, the popularity made me face the pressure of the media, but on the other side, I felt safe being part of a saga so profitable.

Do you mean Twilight gave you economical support that now allows you to freely choose low budget cinematic projects?
Yeah, that's what I mean. Twilight has given value to my image all over the world. Before I star in a romantic comedy, I'd rather turn into the face of a strong firm. It's something that in reality, I could've done earlier, but I've waited because I wanted to team with a good brand. Two years ago, when I began considering the idea of being the face of a perfume, nobody was doing it. Now all actors do it, from Brad Pitt to Matthew McConaughey. It's fun that we're all doing it now.



Originally, the story of the advert (directed by Romain Gavras) was going to be of two men and one woman, but you decided to change the script...
A lot of people thought we were going to have an orgy. Certain images were cut because there was nakedness and we don't want to give the wrong ideas.

But if you start allowing yourself to be seen surrounded by models, a lot of people will expect you to do exactly what's expected of the sexy actor of the moment...
There's a very precise line that marks reality and fiction. If people aren't capable of distinguishing it, there's nothing I can do to explain it to them.

You said becoming the face of Dior makes you feel adult. Do you feel that at 27, you've lost your innocence?
I don't know. I feel less self-conscious now. Up until now I saw myself as a teenager, and for a few months now I haven't felt so immature.

Has letting go of Twilight and everything that surrounds it contributed to your maturity?
I don't know, with Twilight I turned into a public persona and my ego had to face a lot of things. I don't like calling attention, or that people hug me and take pictures of me. Twilight made me change. However, for the last eight or nine months, I feel a lot more comfortable under my skin.

The new promotional images of the ad come with James Dean quotes. They sound very good, but they become exahusting, "Live every day as if it were your last", for example-
That's how I live. If I had to die tomorrow, I'd feel contempt with what I've achieved. I'm not a very ambitious person.

Another James Dean jewel is "Forgive quickly", is it easy for you to forgive?
*Sighs* I'm good at forgiving myself.

Do you have to forget to forgive or are you capable of forgiving generously?
I think I'm capable of forgiving without further ado. But at the moment, I don't feel the need to forgive anyone. There's nothing that really bothers me.

The Dior ad speaks of independence and the sex appeal of a one-woman man, is that how you see yourself?
I don't know how I see myself, that perception changes every day. The ad represents a couple that lives their relationship with such intensity that in the end, they're incapable to keep it. But it's not real...

Have you ever snuck into a party?
Into many, continuously. I never get invited to parties, I always have to sneak in *laughs*.

How do you fight boredom?
For a long time I've been so afraid to show up in public that I stayed at home doing nothing. It came to a point where I couldn't hide anymore, so I decided to change. I've never minded, because I like spending time alone, but I have more confidence in myself.

Do you still write and compose?
Yeah, I've been composing lately. Trying to develop the scripts of two movies and writing. One of the films I'll be in, I can't say much about the other one. It's funny, I like to write the characters as if it was a woman and then playing them.

Why do you think that happens?
I suppose it's because female emotions are a bit more complex than male ones.

Do you think you're the perfect man?
*Laughs* Not at all. I'm very, very far from being that.

Do you worry about dressing well? Is clothing important to you when you define your image?
Of course. I think shoes are very important, because even if they're nice, if I don't feel comfortable wearing them, it ruins the whole ensemble. In the perfume ad, I'm wearing my own clothes.

Really? We thought it was Dior.
All the t-shirts in the ad are mine. It always happens, I always end up wearing something of mine.

Your image projects a lot of elegance, something like the British charm, how do you manage that?
I'm very squared and a little maniac. I find it very difficult to find clothes that captivate me. I don't want to pretend to be someone I'm not and getting it wrong; the wrong suit, shoes or shirt can ruin everything. I like dressing elegant but always comfortable.

Is there any fragrance or smell that helps awaken your emotional memories?
Yeah. The smell of breakfast. Bacon, coffee, toast... it remids me of family sundays at home. Bacon and marmite.

Would you like to shoot a superhero film?
I don't know, I have no abs... I'm missing the six pack! I don't think I'd dare to sign a contract in that kind of project, which usually includes various films. I'm still learning what I want to achieve in my career as an actor.

Back to your abs, you're not one of the guys that sells himself without a shirt. Gym must not be your thing, you haven't even been caught at the beach...
I hate going to the gym. Now that I'm getting older who knows, I might sign up, but I know I'd only last two weeks. About the beach, to be honest I don't really like taking my shirt off, I'd rather get drunk *laughs*.

Since we interviewed you for Harry Potter, you keep the same humbleness. Haven't you changed during these years?
I'm still a very shy and tremendously insecure guy. In reality, I've never been interested in following the path of egomaniacs.

No comments:

Post a Comment